You are going to analyze a book, which has been arbitarily chosen, to get you started in the task of finding the best books for class use.
THIS ACTIVITY IS GROUP WORK
Task 1: go to the presentation page of What's Up? Starter and find out...
1. What kind of students is the book aimed at? (age/level)
2. How many levels does the book have?
3. How many contact hours/ hours an academic year is the book intended to cover?
4. Which are the book components? (teacher's book, activity book, cds, test samples etc) Is there support material online?
Task 2: go to a sample unit of the book and find out...
1. How is the lesson divided?
2. Which language skills are used in the lesson?
3. What is the lesson trying to teach?
4. A classical way of approaching a lesson is following the PRESENTATION-PRACTICE-PRODUCTION sequence? Is this respected in this lesson?
5. Group comments on the lesson.
Task 3: go to the Contents Section in What's Up? Starter and see how much info from what you gathered in task 2 is present here.
Concluding reflection: What have you learnt today after working on this activity? What do you think you will be taking into account from now on that you considered unimportant or that you disregarded before?